Nov 21, 2012

iDiva: Vasuda Sharma One Woman Band

iDiva
Vasuda Sharma One Woman Band
Nov 22nd 2012, 10:43

33



Vasuda Sharma broke out of her pop star mould (from her days in the popular band Aasma) to becoming a one woman band where she fuses Indian classical music with western contemporary vibes, throws in a bit of beat-boxing, and makes her own music live and sings compositions over it. She's our proverbial butterfly who's broken into the music industry because of her persistence & the "krishna bhajans" she sang growing up. We talk to her about her current international project Attuned Spirits & the thrill of being in the independent music scene.

How did you get into this industry and what attracted you to this kind of music?
1316 I was selected by channel V in the year 2002 in a music reality show concept called Coke V popstars. My band was called Aasma. This was a mixed pop band. There were four of us. Two boys and two girls. Aasma released two albums and has been doing lots of college and corporate gig over the years. Also slowly all of us ventured out in pursuing our solo projects too and I always wanted to play my own compositions and be an independent singer-songwriter.

Did you face any challenges as a woman trying to make a mark in the music scene?
1316 I didn't really face a lot of challenges as a woman but my main challenge was to come out the popstar image that people already had of me. To be able to play my own music and get acknowledged and appreciated took a while but it was also possible because I was persistant. :)

Who/what has been your best influence? And what inspires you to perform?
1316 My aunt (my dad's sister) has been my biggest influence till date. She has been teaching me UP folk music and krishna bhajans since I was four. That is something that has stayed with me despite all the other kind of music and artists I was exposed to later in life.
I sing because it gives me immense joy. And whenever I get the opportunity to share that joy with more people, I go for it. That is my only drive.

Describe your music/ songs for someone who has never heard it.
1316 My music is a blend Indian classical + folk with contemporary western influences.

What has been your best work yet and why?
1316 My best work is yet to come:)

What are you currently working on?
1316 I am currently working on my fusion project titled "Attuned Spirits" This is a collaborative effort amongst musicians from 12 countries. I recorded four of my songs in Boston in May this year and am still working on completing the album. The album is essentially my compositions and arrangement but the musicians working on it are from Canada, Croatia, Korea, Norway, Jordan, Palestine, Turkey, USA, Italy, Serbia and Greece and India. I am extremely excited about this project. I also plan to record some songs here in India and expect the album to be out around end of January next year hopefully.

Which musician/singer would you like to collaborate with?
1316 I 'd love to do something with A.R. Rahman. He is one person I really admire.

If not a singer, what would you be?
1316 As far as what my parents think I would have been had I not been a singer, I'd be in the civil services and be an IAS officer. However, I doubt that. If I wasn't an artiste, I'd be a successful troller on Facebook :P

What do you love most about what you are currently doing? Has it given you the freedom to do what you otherwise would never have?
1316 Absolutely...I have the freedom. I use my own head working on the creatives, the decisions, the music,arrangement... I know taking the plunge in the independent music scene is a gamble and there are risks involved but the thrill and freedom is what makes it worth going for.

What's your take on violence against women? How would you take a stand?
1316 It breaks my heart and makes me extremely angry in my bones,whenever I hear about an incident. To be honest just like any other person I conveniently  calm down eventually and get busy in my normal chores. But I really want to get involved and help in every way I can. I have barbaric ways of punishing the molesters and rapists and all those who harm women for no reason. Because that is the only way to do justice according to me. There is nothing else that works in this country.

What's playing on your iPod?
1316 Right now, Fiona Apple and Dave Matthews band.

Word of advice to budding artistes, especially women like you:
1316 Girls Show them what you've got... "Musically" :)

(Vasudha Sharma will be performing today in Bangalore and tomorrow in Mumbai as part of the 100 Piper's India Music Week)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

Blog Archive