Oct 18, 2012

iDiva: Abhishek Bachchan Its Impossible to Stay Without Them

iDiva
Abhishek Bachchan Its Impossible to Stay Without Them
Oct 18th 2012, 23:00

 


Image Courtesy: Vishesh Verma

What’s the vibe around you now that you’re a member of the 100 crore club?
If Bol Bachchan has earned 100 crores at the box office then it means you need to work even harder. I don’t take the membership of this club lightly. The 100 crore club is like the silver jubilees and golden jubilees that films celebrated earlier. It’s not the kind of club where one goes and drinks daily (Laughs) Every actor is not lucky to win the love of the audience. When you get that love you need to respect and safeguard it.

When a film does such huge business, the actor also gains…
It all depends on the kind of contract you have drawn. If the film makes money, then the profits are divided as per the contract.

How did you play the character of a Kathak dancer with such ease?
We didn’t want to portray a caricature and poke fun at anyone. Comedy needs a serious approach. It should stem from the situation. If the Kathak dancer, Abbas, had not presented himself seriously, it wouldn’t have been funny. Neither is he a Kathak dancer nor can he dance. What the audience finds funny is that the guy’s trapped in a situation and he’s making every effort to work his way out. I based the other character, that of  Abhishek Bachchan on Raja, a boy who worked on the sets of Bol Bachchan. Raja’s walk, Raja’s talk was imbibed in the character. You’ll find that Abhishek’s character is far more serious than Abbas’. Since it is Rohit’s film, people tend to believe that we don’t take it seriously. But a lot of hard work goes in a comedy.

Is comedy your strength? Your comic timing in Dostana and Bunty Aur Babli was also appreciated.
As an actor, it is my job to perform well in every genre. Our films are like a thali, in which everything is included — action, drama, romance, tragedy, comedy, songs. I am at ease in all genres. You’re saying this because my last release Bol Bachchan is a success. Dostana was successful too. But along with Dostana, I’ve done Sarkar, I’ve done Guru. It’s not that only comedy suits me. Yes, I enjoy comedy even though it’s more difficult.

How important is it for an actor to have a set image?
It used to be necessary between the ’70s and ’90s but not anymore. Look at the last five films of Shah Rukh Khan or Aamir Khan. They’ve all been very different from each other. Today’s audience is different. Earlier, they revered actors. But this is the era of Twitter and Facebook. They don’t worship you anymore. They want to befriend you. If you don’t provide them variety, they’ll reject you. Earlier, there were no alternatives to cinema. Today you have the internet, restaurants, malls and TV. That’s perhaps the reason I was appreciated in Bol Bachchan. Earlier they have seen me in brooding, laid-back kind of roles. Suddenly, they saw me in a role full of life and were surprised.

So will the tag of ‘superstar’ cease to exist?
That’s up to the media. ‘Star’ is another name for film actors. That’s about it. There will always be stars and superstars but the equation will not be like it was earlier. There won’t be any mystery about them. No actor should try to create that aura. That might just be boring. They love and respect you but the audience is much more aware. Today, if I lock myself in a room and don’t get seen in public, hoping to create a mystery around me, it won’t work. People will forget me. There are other things begging their attention.

In the last two years, except for Paa, your films haven’t really done well. How much did that affect you?
I read a wonderful quote by Charlie Chaplin today, “To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.” I hope you’ve got your reply. No actor ever thinks, ‘Let’s make a flop film’. Some films do well, some don’t. I challenge you to name one actor who has only given hits. There are none. I take things positively. I look for ways to improve my mood in the mornings so that I can go to work in a positive frame of mind.

You have seen both — success and failure. Do you still feel nervous on the eve of a release?
Yes, at the eve of every release. Before giving your shot, before the release, it’s good to be nervous because it means that you’ve given your best. You should always be eager to learn new things. The day I stop learning, I’ll stop acting because that day I’ll have nothing left to prove. Look at dad. He has already started rehearsing for Kaun Banega Crorepati. It’s a live show. You don’t know who your contestant is going to be or what questions you’ll be asking. But he’s rehearsing. That’s the drive. Because he doesn’t believe that he is Amitabh Bachchan, rather just an actor.

A supportive husband like you is every girl’s dream. Have you ever put restrictions on Aishwarya?
If a man tries to restrain his wife, then there must be two reasons for it. Firstly, he’s insecure. Secondly, he doesn’t trust her. I am a secured person and have complete faith in my wife. Then why should I have any problem?

What do you respect most about Aishwarya?
She’s very down-to-earth, rooted, simple and real. She’s very beautiful, which everyone knows. But as a person, she is far more beautiful. She’s not what you’d expect her to be. You may think she’s an internationally known star and may have a lot of attitude. But Aishwarya connects with you easily. Strangely, there are a lot of similarities between her and dad. They don’t project themselves as stars. They are only bothered about their work.

Don’t you miss her on screen?
Right now, she is on a set shooting a commercial. I love her work very much and would love to watch her on screen. When she signs a film it is her decision. She should find something interesting. Right now, Aaradhya is very young. Aishwarya wants to be with her. When she finds it right to work, she will. An actor should sign a film for emotional reasons. It can’t be financial or strategic.

Will Aishwarya and Aaradhya join you abroad?
Yes. It’s impossible to stay without them.

Celebrities enjoy a certain anonymity abroad. What do you like doing there?
The first thing we do is go for a walk. We enjoy doing basic things, things we can’t do here.

You’ve enjoyed abiding friendships wit Rohan Sippy, Goldie Behl, Ajay Devgn...What’s the secret?
Honesty and loyalty are important. I’d never lie to my friends. If they ask me whether I liked their film and if I haven’t I won’t say I did. It takes long to build trust in a relationship. I wouldn’t want to break that.

How has your lifestyle changed after the arrival of Aaradhya?
I am thankful to my wife as there is not much of a difference. She is taking great care of Aaradhya. So my schedule remains unaffected. Now I will be going abroad for a three-month shoot for Dhoom 3. I salute all mothers. They are unbelievable.

Do you feel frustrated when you cannot spend much time with Aaradhya?
Obviously. When I was growing up, dad was hardly around because he was busy shooting. But he made it a point to be there when I needed him. I will also try to do the same for Aaradhya. It has never happened in my life that I needed dad and he wasn’t there. Never. I don’t know how he managed that.

Do you feel more responsible after Aaradhya’s birth?
Definitely! Every parent must be feeling the same. There’s a new life in your life. And you are responsible for it.

If you had to describe Aaradhya…
She’s just eight months old. She’s not mischievous. She’s a happy child, always smiling.

 

Media files:
men_600x450.jpg
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

Blog Archive