Oct 17, 2012

iDiva: Marjaani Singer Akriti Kakkar Unplugged

iDiva
Marjaani Singer Akriti Kakkar Unplugged
Oct 16th 2012, 15:09

1212


In an exclusive interview with iDiva.com, the singing sensation talks about all things musical and her journey so far.

What do you love most about singing?

1283 I feel blessed to be able to do something as rejuvenating as music for a profession, that the rest of the world uses as a medium of relaxation. Singing keeps me from feeling low or lonesome and is medicinal. It's my best companion and the foremost love of my life. As a result, I sometimes come across as a very "antisocial being" but I like it like that.

What has your journey in Bollywood been like?
1283 It's been very fruitful and very heartening. A joy ride that has been such a learning experience everyday until now. Hardwork and patience is the key and even more important is to just keep doing your thing and not wait for results. It will come back to you in some way or the other. I've worked with the biggest music composers and learnt something or the other from their styles of working and composing. I've been patient with the work that I get and have been trying to do justice to all my assignments and projects. I've learnt to just better myself with each passing day and that’s what I compete with.

How would you describe your voice?
1283 I'd like to believe that I'm a voice that fits into most genres, if not all. I've been lucky enough to have sung everything from an item number which is Marjaani for Billu, an emotional ballad Mohabbat Aapse for Aa Dekhein Zara, a grungy Johnny Gaddaar title song and a sensational Abhi Abhi in Jism 2, a fun Jailhouse Rock from We Are Family to a stint jamming with Shankar Mahadevan in Coke Studio @ MTV...I want to be remembered as a versatile singer.

What do you do to take care of your voice?
1283 Initially I used to be very careful not to eat out or consume cold, spicy or oily food to prevent harming my voice. Then Anandji uncle (of Kalyanji Anandji fame) told me that one should make their throat used to everything. With the amount of travel due to shows that my work involves, it's very difficult to be choosy about what you get to eat even if you are staying at a 5 star property. From the age of 11 I've not been averse to having pani puri, cold drinks, ice cream, or anything that usually as a myth would ruin my voice. By eating all this, I've strengthened my vocal chords. Most importantly, I do daily riyaz which is exercise for my vocal chords.

Are there any composers you want to work with?
1283 I'm looking forward to working with Ilaya Raja sir, A.R. Rahman, M.M. Kreem, Vishal Bhardwaj, Salim Sulaiman, Amit Trivedi and Clinton Cerejo.

Who are the singers you look up to?
1283 Lataji and Ashaji are every singer's aspirations and inspirations. Kishoreda was my biggest inspiration; I wanted to add that extra something to each of his songs so that they refuse to age. Classically I was deeply influenced by Begum Parveen Sultanaji and Kishori Amonkarji. Their classical khayals and thumri gayaki moves me, and so do their bhajans. On the Western side of music, I have always been very intrigued by the symphonies by Beethoven and Bach and Mozart, thinking of how they come up with such brilliant pieces! I was introduced to Nat King Cole in my late teens and I was blown away! Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's compositions took me by storm and the impact his music had was phenomenal. Wadali Brothers, Noorjehan, Surinder Kaur, and Asa Singh Mastana's Punjabi folk songs were introduced to me by my grandfather and I've only grown to realise that's where I belong. Even in the future in the independent space I'd love to highlight the desi folk space of the North of India and bring it forth to the world. In contemporary times, I admire Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharanji, Sonu Nigam, Mahalaxmi Iyer and Ustad Rashid Khan.

What is your dream as a musician/singer?
1283 I've dreamt of this as a child...I stand by it even now. I want to hear my music being played on all radio stations simultaneously. At the traffic signal if I roll my car window down I want to hear my music from the adjacent car. Every club should play my songs the most. I want to have the biggest family of listeners across the map! I know it sounds childish, but dreams have to be crazy enough to be able to drive us mad to achieve them. I literally want my music to break all barriers of language and regions.

Which are your five favourite songs that you have sung?
1283 Johnny Gaddaar title song, Mohabbat Aapse from Aa Dekhein Zara, Mehrmaa ve from my album Akriti, Marjaani from Billu, and Bolo na Bolo which is a bhajan from Ganaraj Adhiraj.

Which are your five favourite songs sung by others?
1283 Skyfall by Adele, Lag Ja Gale by Lataji, Aao na from Kyun Ho Gaya Na by Sadhna Sargam and Udit Narayan, Kal Ho Naa Ho by Sonu Nigam, Maa by Shankar Mahadevan

What is the sweetest compliment you have ever received regarding your voice?
1283 This was for a song from my album Akriti called Chal Kaheen Sang Mere which has very deep moving lyrics. The song became the reason for a dear friend of mine patching up with her husband and preventing a divorce. She said the song made her actually give it all a thought again. That's what I realised is the aim of my music; to become a part of people's lives and add meaning to them and spread happiness. I feel immense gratitude towards God for making me a musician for this and more.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

Blog Archive