Oct 9, 2012

iDiva: A TteTte with Effervescent Actress Kuki Grewal

iDiva
A TteTte with Effervescent Actress Kuki Grewal
Oct 9th 2012, 10:41

1212


In an exclusive interview with iDiva.com, the effervescent model-turned-actor talks about acting, food, fitness, style, and more.
How did you land a leading role in Salt and Pepper?
1273 It was quite a surreal. The director, Vikranth Pawar, called me for a reading and I went. Then two days later, he called me back saying I was on for the play, and rehearsals began! It was not planned in my head but I jumped at the opportunity.

I am excited as this is the best platform I could have got. This is a milestone for me because an actor's journey is incomplete without having acted on stage. I have no formal training in acting so I consider myself lucky to have got this opportunity with Mandira Bedi, Darshan Jariwala, and Vikram Kocchar. I want to get into acting full-time now. It was natural for me to be nervous because everyone has had a body of work in films and theatre. I was also excited to learn and that is what happened. Everybody was so nice to me and they guided me. I have learnt so much from the people I've worked with. A whole new world of acting has opened for me. I have changed as a person and as an actor.

During the play, I learnt to let go of all my inhibitions. My director was very supportive and everyone was co-operative even though I fumbled a few times. I had to play a variety of characters in a short span of time because the play has ten skits showing different facets of contemporary relationships making it identifiable. I hope people enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it.

What do you want to accomplish as an actor?
1273 I want to act. I want to perform and grow, no matter what the media. I like slice-of-life films and comedies too. I definitely want to do more plays. I want to take on roles that appeal to me in the sense that when I read the script, I want to be part of it no matter the length of the role or the medium.

Which films and roles have you enjoyed watching recently?
1273 I recently loved Barfi, Kahaani, and Delhi Belly. I even enjoyed The Dirty Picture and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. I enjoyed Don 2 because it had action and it was glamourous. I would love to do an action role. A lot of movies these days are script and performance-driven and they have created so many opportunities for new directors and actors. There is no formula anymore, which was earlier the case. So I feel lucky about being an actor in today's times.

I loved Priyanka Chopra's work in Barfi! I think she is a diverse actress and she chooses different movies. I loved Vidya Balan's work in Kahaani because it was so performance-driven and the movie was riveting.

Tell us something we don't already know about you.
1273 I live in the moment. I love adventure. I love facing my fears. I grab opportunities that come my way. I want to try new things. I am happy-go-lucky. I love reading and I also paint which is my creative expression. I travel at the drop of a hat. I have been to Egypt, Maldives, Australia, South-East Asia and most of Europe like Spain, Portugal, and Italy. I have a list of places to see and I've made a promise to myself to travel twice a year.

How would you describe your sense of style?
1273 I don't like my clothes to overshadow my personality. I like classic cuts and styles. I am not a bling person. I like my dresses to be structured. I love the way Gwyneth Paltrow dresses. I like elegance!

What is your fitness routine?
1273 I love swimming and do that three times a week. I work out at the gym three days a week. I do a combination of weight and functional training. But I don't think I am as fit as I should be (laughs).

You are a foodie. So what are your food preferences?
1273 I love food, I am especially fond of junk food such as pizzas and burgers. I love spicy Thai and Chinese food. I love Mediterranean food. I eat Indian junk food - pav bhaji and pani puri. I gorge on all that. I never deprive myself. I don't have a sweet tooth so that is a saving grace. I don't like Italian food too much either because I like strong flavours.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

Blog Archive